Happy June Babes! I am equally excited and nervous for this June. I have so many things going on and more free time than the past three years. (Thanks PT School) Sounds contradictory? Kind of... My schedule is a bit all over the place with pockets of free time. I couldn't decide if I want to savor June or want June to be over. But in the end, I decided that (per usual) I can only take each day at a time and stay in the moment as much as possible. Now that it is in writing, I am holding myself to that. (Someone remind me of this post!!!!)
Why is June so crazy? Well, first of all, I have a ton of great events for Yoga and essential oils. AND there are TWO this weekend!! Check it out:
Essential oils for Physical Vitality and Emotional Well Being
- Athleta on Newbury Street
- June 3rd, 8:30am- 9:30am
- Tickets here!
Self Care Sunday with Waterhouse Wellness
- 10 am- 2 pm
- Waterhouse Wellness in Arlington
- NO tickets needed! Come join us for a block party:)
Root & Reboot Wellness Festival: Summer Redux
- Boston Public Market The Kitchen
- June 10th: 10 am- 3 pm
- Tickets here!
On top of all the wonderfulness, I am currently interviewing for my LAST clinical experience for my DPT Degree. HOLY CRAP! I am 7 months away from graduating with only 10 weeks of classroom work and 16 weeks of clinical work left before I am all DONE. But really, who is counting? I am manifesting an amazing clinical placement and I know I will end up where I am supposed to be for future success in my career.
With all this inspired action happening in my life, I need to find a way to bring myself back down. A way to keep me grounded, calm and keep the good vibes flowing. So my major goal for this June (& summer!) is to have a consistent, grounding morning routine. Key word: consistent. Most of the time, I have a decent morning routine. I usually wake up with enough time to get ready and not feel rushed. (I hate feeling rushed- It triggers all sorts of negative feelings for me so I give myself the time I need.) Some mornings I am better than others. I am always better about my routine when I stay at home house versus when I stay at my boyfriends. (It's so much harder when you are the first person to have to get out of bed!!) I want to come up with a morning routine that I can take anywhere with me: my boyfriends, my parents, hotel rooms when traveling, when we are back in Betty, etc. It might mean I need to wake up an extra 20-30 minutes before I normally would but I think the benefits would far outweigh 20-30 minutes less sleep. My goal is to have a consistent morning routine filled with a little more self care, a lot more quite time and good daily practices for my mind and body.
Goals for my morning routine:
- Warm Water & Lemon (slice or essential oil): I don't drink coffee usually because it doesn't sit well and it increase my anxiety. I love the taste but having it everyday is just too much for my body to handle. Warm Water & Lemon is the perfect morning ritual for me. It helps my body reset, it hydrates my body and it is a great ritual to take place of coffee for me.
- Meditate for at least 5 minutes: I know that I feel better when I meditate, yet some days I let it fall off my to do list. After doing a lot of research for my past clinical experience, I decided that meditating everyday is a non- negotiable for me. Also, I like to think I walk my talk so if I am telling my clients and patients to meditate I damn well better be. That doesn't mean it's easy or I enjoy it everyday but I know the science behind it and I know how important it is for my body so it's time for me to make it part of my everyday routine.
- Journal for 5-10 minutes & Goddess Cards: Journaling really helps me come back into the present moment. The current journal I have asked questions like "appreciation and gratitudes list", "I am..." or my top three inspired actions for the day. These little prompts help me refocus my energy and think about how I want to create my day. Goddess cards are an added bonus. I like the tirual of pulling three goddess cards every morning and using them as a sign for what the universe wants me to focus my energy on. When I am super stressed out or in a bad mood, I always seem to pull the Goddess card that I need most. It's quite magical:
- Dry brushing & Tongue Scraping: Ayurvedic practice: These are two things that I do sporadically but I think my body would benefit from daily. Tongue scraping daily removes any build-up on the tongue, emoving Ama (accumulation of toxic residue in the mind-body) from your physiology and can improve your ability to taste food. To learn more check out this Chopra center article. Dry brushing increase circulation, helps shed dead skin cells, rejuvenates and stimulate the nervous system and improve lymphatic drainage. To learn more about the benefits of dry brushing, check out this article! These are two things that I think will help my body function at its optimal level
- 5-10 minutes of stretching: Yoga, static stretching or even stretching in bed: Same thing here, I have to walk my talk. Yes I stretch most days and I try to yoga as much as possible. I want to dedicate a couple of minutes each morning to stretch out muscles that feel sore or tight and take inventory of how my body is feeling so I can make the best decision about what workout I want for the day.
- 8 ounces of Homemade Kombucha (thanks babe!): First of all, I LOVE kombucha. Second of all it is great for your gut health, Lastly (thirdly?), Chris has started brewing our own kombucha for us. WIN.
Do you guys have any tips and tricks? Anything I should be adding to my routine? Leave me a comment below!